Friday 20 February 2009

Hand in - Learning Agreement

Today I was the hand in for my learning agreement for my professional project, I was pleased to know that if we need to go back and add to it later we can. I feel that after I have carried out a bit more research I will be able to add more to the synopsis of study. Bellow is my current synopsis of study:

Synopsis of Study

For my professional project I will be designing a typographic display for an exhibition that demonstrates the major historical development within the typographical industry starting from the1880’s. This should clearly show the progression and the evolution of typography. I will be concentrating on European and American contributions to typography development. I will also design the print based information and promotional material available at the exhibition. This would include: tickets, banners, brochures/booklets, etc. I felt that this would be a good project as there are currently no typography design exhibitions in London and no permanent places which focus on typography other than the Type museum which, from what I can gather from their, website has more of a museum approach than a gallery approach (which would be where my exhibition would be based). The reason for adopting a gallery approach is because it is likely to appeal more than a museum approach would, to the designers (due to the other content that would be in the exhibition) who are the main target audience.

I will produce a timeline for a wall display that informs the viewer and graphically demonstrates an understanding of the development through typography from the 1880s. This will be on show at a typography exhibition. I will show my research and development through a series of sketchbooks. The promotional material will obviously have to reflect the exhibition, which will be aimed at students/ designers who have an interest in typography and would therefore be in the gallery and could find out more about the basic historical development. However, the main purpose of the exhibition will be educational rather than a more commercial approach.

 

I will achieve this by carrying out research into the evolution of typography paying particular attention to major events/technology’s/designers; starting from the pantographic punch cutter (1884). I will try getting some information from the ‘Type Museum’, London, although it is currently closed for public access. From a recent visit to the Tate modern (London), I have since been looking a similar outcome, which is a time line reflecting the major ‘Fine art’ developments, designed by Sara Fanelli.

This will give me the opportunity to expand my typography knowledge, and allow me to approach and present the final designs in an informative manner. This will come together to strengthen my portfolio within a discipline I am very interested in, which will undoubtedly help me get onto future courses and a job within the industry.

No comments: